Saturday, December 6, 2014

Santol

I remember during my school days that was around the late 90's when this fruit was sold just outside of our school campus. It was displayed peeled and already sliced. I can choose to dip it through a vinegar, soy sauce or just plain rock salt. The Santol or cotton fruit is another native fruit from the Southeast Asia. The outer rind has a thick texture in some varieties which is sour in taste, while the white pulp in the seeds is also eaten. There are two varieties of Santol. The yellow and the red Santol. It appears that the red ones are a common variety. Santol can also be candied. In Thailand, it is used in some of their cuisines. But as for me, I still prefer to eat it with my favorite dip.
Fresh Santols are usually hand picked by climbing up on its tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment